The Submarine Heritage Centre - Submarine History
BARROW SHIPYARD AND SUBMARINES
The Iron Shipbuilding Company was founded in 1871 by James Ramsden, General Manager of the Furness Railway Company who became first mayor of the new town of Barrow-in-Furness in Lancashire (now Cumbria). However, on registering the new company in 1872, the name was changed to the Barrow Ship Building Company (BSBC) when it was realised that there was already another company building iron ships further down the coast at Birkenhead.
First naval vessel 1877; First submarines 1886
The shipyard earned a growing reputation for quality-built naval ships and in 1888, having bought out the gun interests of the Maxim Nordenfelt Guns & Ammunition Company, was renamed the Naval Construction & Armaments Company.
1897 - Bought by Vickers
1901 - The Royal Navy's First Submarine
1960 - Into the Nuclear Age
266 RN Submarines from other Builders
309 RN Submarines from Barrow
and a further three on order
2001 - A Century of RN Submarine Building
Barrow Shipyard in 2002.
Tony Salter-Ellis for the Submarine Heritage Centre